June 26, 2017

Church of the Holy Angels, est. 1901

Holy Angels School Holy Angels Church Early 1900s

The Church of the Holy Angels was established in 1901. The first structure was a 200 seat frame building located in the South Park neighborhood. Two classrooms attached to the back of the building served as the Parish school, which was staffed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur.

Holy Angels Church Historic

 

In 1906, a larger wooden church was constructed on Brown Street and the current school building was constructed on L Street on land donated by the Society of Mary, the Parish’s neighbor “up the hill” at the University of Dayton.

 

holy angels church_full building pictureThe current church, in Norman Gothic style, was built in 1927. A major addition to the school was built after WWII (around 1949), and the Cotterman Gymnasium and Multipurpose Center were constructed in 1988. In 2005, the University of Dayton made available to the Parish the duplex at the corner of Brown & K Streets to house the Parish Office.